Sign up for tax alert emails GTNU homepage Tax newsroom Email document Print document Download document
May 20, 2020
Uruguay’s Executive Power proposes bill that would modify list of special donations
On 16 April 2020, Uruguay’s Executive Power submitted a bill to the Uruguayan Parliament that would add a new donation to the special donations list. Specifically, the bill would add donations made by corporate income taxpayers to Uruguayan resident individuals who must go abroad to participate in medical studies or have certain treatments. For those donations to be considered special donations, the Ministry of Public Health must determine that it is impossible for the studies or treatment to be conducted in Uruguay because of their complexity or due to the lack of technical knowledge or experience.
Currently, corporations that make donations on the special list are eligible for tax benefits, which generally consist of a refund of 75% of the donation and the possibility of deducting the remaining 25% as a company expense. Corporations that make the new listed donation would be eligible for the same benefits.
For additional information with respect to this Alert, please contact the following:
Ernst & Young Uruguay, Montevideo
Ernst & Young LLP (United States), Latin American Business Center, New York
Ernst & Young Abogados, Latin American Business Center, Madrid
Ernst & Young LLP (United Kingdom), Latin American Business Center, London
Ernst & Young Tax Co., Latin America Tax Desk, Japan & Asia Pacific